Monday, August 3, 2015

Senior Hurling Championship: Galway v Tipperary

Galway 1-9 Tipperary 1-29

Tipperary tallied another impressive win for the second week in a row, this time it was Galway who were the victims of a great all round performance.  Tipp were on a different level, and their half forward line was something to reckon with.  Adrian and Dan Morrissey, from Galway and Limerick respectively, along with Abbeydorney’s Michael O’Leary, were too much for Galway to stop, while at the other end of the ship the Tipp back line was virtually impenetrable.

Tommy Rigney leading the charge out of defence.
Tipperary took the break nine points to the good and were full value for the lead.  A total performance saw Tipp string nine unanswered points together.  Corner backs, half backs, midfielders, it really did not matter where the ball landed, it was likely to be sent right back and into the scoring hands of either Morrissey, David Reidy, or O’Leary. 

Adrian Morrissey and Rory Hickey traded scores to get things going, and then Tipp took over the game.  There was plenty for the forwards to feed off and the points sailed over the bar at will, with all 5 forwards getting on the scoresheet, and a couple from Stephen Molumphy thrown in for good measure.  Galway were disappearing further and further into the rearview mirror, however the tribesmen toiled away and were rewarded with scores from Hickey and Barry Whelan.  At the break it was 0-15 to 0-6 Tipp lead.

Stephen Roche tries to halt the progress of David Reidy.
The story continued in the second half.  Tipp netted after Mikey Ryan found an unmarked Adrian Morrissey running through on goal and the wing forward made no error with his shot.  Galway had a chance to at least tally one in the goal column after Stephen Roche was pulled back in the penalty area.  Hickey took the shot, however, was well saved by the unflustered Clinton Hennessey who blocked the shot well.

Galway managed back to back points from Hickey and Darragh Murray and had another great goal chance after Hickey found Roche, however the ball fizzed across the face of goal and wide.  Coming into the final quarter it was a matter of Galway playing for a bit of pride and Tipp seeing the game through to the end.  With Tipperary blowing the opposition out of the water at this rate, it is hard to see who can challenge the Premier men for the championship.

Galway:  E. Walsh, P. Dwyer, C. Wafer, J. McDowell, R. O’Hanrahan, W. Walsh, O. Keevins, S. Roche, L. Allen, R. Hickey, D. Murray, A. Fogerty, B. Whelan.  Tipperary:  C. Hennessy, S. McGarr, D. Maloney, J. Rigney, W. Egan, T. Rigney, C. Dempsey, S. Molumphy, A. Morissey, D. Morissey, M. O’Leary, M. Ryan, D. Reidy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: