Monday, August 17, 2015

Senior hurling: Tipperary v Wexford

Wexford 1-14 Tipperary3-24

With Tipp in the final there was little to play for, but for Wexford a result might see them into a semi-final and avoid a possible play off against Galway.  As it turned out Wexford hung with their opponents for the first half, but in the second the Premier men pulled away and left Wexford waiting on the result of the Galway versus Fr. Tom’s game to determine their fate.  As it turned out, Galway knew what they had to do and got the job done by taking a point against Tom’s, and ending Wexford’s senior hurling season.

Rory Sludds clears from wing back.
At half time Tipp held a 2-8 to 1-9 lead.  Tipp had the edge early on.  Rory Sludds and David Dunne traded goals early, while for Tipp the scores were spread across the half forward line.  Adrian and Dan Morrissey, (no relations), put four points over the bar between them, while at corner forward David Reidy chipped in with a brace.  Wexford kept pace thanks to some nicely taken points by Barry Carton and Conor Murray, however a Reidy goal 5 minutes before the break put Tipp further ahead just as Wexford were making up some ground.

Tipperary turned the screw in the second half and mid-way through felt comfortable enough to start bringing on the subs.  Russell Quirke and John Roche entered the fray and each player helped themselves to a couple of points.  It was a third Tipp goal from Reidy that really killed the game.  Willie Egan had put a fine point over the bar from under the small stand before the goal.  DJ Foran responded with a point for Wexford, but that would be the last score for the Slaneysiders for some time.

Conor Murray does the same for Wexford.
Eight unanswered points sailed over the bar in the run in to the final whistle.  Two were back to back 65’s from Adrian Morrissey, and the others came from the subs.  It could have been worse, Nevin Rossiter pulled off two fantastic saves.  The first from Mike Ryan, and the second off the rebound from Alan Dempsey.  With the result in the bag, things for a little nasty in the latter stages and Ger Hoey had to show some yellow cards.  Tipperary roll on to the final where it will either be Galway or Tom’s providing the opposition.

Wexford:  N. Rossiter, K. Keyes, C. Robinson, T. Moloney, J. Desmond, C. Murray, J. Kehoe, DJ Foran, D. Walshe, E. Flaherty, B. Carton, E. Kavanagh, D. Dunne.  Tipp:  C. Hennesssy, D. Mahoney, S. McGarr, J. Rigney, W. Egan, R. Sludds, S. Molumphy, C. Dempsey, A. Morrissey, D. Morisssey, A. Dempsey, M. Ryan, D. Reidy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: