Monday, August 3, 2015

Men's Senior Football: Christopher's v Kerry

Kerry 2-15 Christopher’s 3-16

Christopher’s pulled out the win in the end, though Kerry made it interesting although they were out of the running for the playoffs.  The game appeared to be done and dusted with Christopher’s holding a 12 point half time lead, however, Kerry netted twice in the second period and brought the difference to a single point with 5 minutes to go.  Christopher’s managed to rise their game in the final minutes and just about secure the win to see them to, at minimum, a playoff game for the quarter finals.

Christopher's still alive in the senior football championship.
The first half was a tame enough affair, although there were plenty of well taken scores from each side.  Ronan Kennedy took some fine scores for Kerry and early on the Kingdom had a three point lead with Christopher’s yet to score.  Mark Delaney got Christopher’s off the mark with a point, and after Ryan Harkin added a second Christopher’s capitalized on a mis-placed short kickout, Tom “Cooper” Fahy chipped the ball over Steven Enright’s head and into the empty net.

Christopher’s could not afford to settle though.  Kerry almost had a goal themselves, however, Eoghan Keogh was down to smother John O’Keefe’s close range shot and the effort from the rebound was also cleared off the line.  Christopher’s then started to pull away as the half wore on.  Some good defending kept Kerry at bay, and the points began to pour over the bar.  Mark Delaney, Fahy, and Vaughan were the main protagonists.  A second goal from Vaughan put Christopher’s into a 10 point lead, and Kerry’s interest seemed to wane.  At the break it was a 2-12 to 0-7 Christopher’s advantage.

Bad luck with injuries and early results leave Kerry out of the running.
The second half threw up a surprise as Kerry reduced the difference to a single point with 5 minutes to go.  A goal from Tom Menton early on in the second period seemed at the time like it would merely put a gloss on the score, however the scores kept coming for Kerry.  Had Christopher’s been lulled into a false sense of security?  Kennedy was the main threat for Kerry, putting several balls over the bar as the difference narrowed.  Christopher’s had trouble responding and getting the ball into the opposing half, and with Cathal Vaughan having the leave the field of play, Christopher’s were without their talisman to pull them out of the rut. 

A second Kerry goal from a 21 yard free taken by Ronan Kennedy saw Kerry gain hope of playing the role of spoiler.  There were a couple of close shaves as Kerry threatened to pull off a win to finish their season, and ruin Christopher’s day.  Christopher’s gathered themselves however, and gained some momentum for the final five minutes.  Three points on the trot from Paddy Manning, David Dunne, and Fahy saw the points in the bag for Christopher’s and depending on the results next weekend will be at least in a playoff for sixth place.

Kerry:  S. Enright, D. Larkin, M. Murphy, S. Driscoll, R. Driscoll, J. O’Shea, D. Foley, P. O’Sullivan, R. Croft, M. Manning, J. O’Keefe, R. Kennedy, S. O’Callaghan.  Christopher’s:  E. Keogh, N. Rossiter, L. Kitterick, E. O’Neill, S. White, P. Kennedy, C. Murphy, R. Harkin, M. Delaney, C. Vaughan, E. Nolan, D. Kenneally, T. Cooper.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: