Monday, August 10, 2015

Men's Senior Football: Galway v Connemara Gaels

Connemara Gaels 2-10 Galway 0-18

Galway had to win to maintain an interest in the senior football championship and win they did.  It was a great all round performance from the Brighton based side with some great attacking play from the half back line, and a handful of fantastic saves from keeper Jamie Kelly.  Galway always seemed to have the extra available option when in possession and moved the ball well.  The Gaels launched a late comeback effort and got to within a point, however Galway hung on to keep their interest in the senior football championship alive.

Galway's Craig Kennedy gives Noel Duggan the evil eye as he looks for a way past.
Galway took the break with a well deserved three point lead.  Kevin Mulvaney and Sean Marshall kept things moving in the middle of the field, while in the forward line Craig Kennedy, Jamie Kehoe and Kevin Cummins kept the Gaels backs on their heels.  Galway enjoyed the majority of possession and were always able to find the man in space to set up chances. 

The sides traded two points each to get things going, from then on Galway were in the ascendancy.  A Martin Farragher goal was all that broke up a string of Galway points in the middle of the half; the Gaels were struggling to get anything going.  Danny Reddin played the role of attacking wing back to great effect, and popped a couple of points over, while midfielder Kevin Mulvaney put a couple of bombs over the bar.  Craig Kennedy was another asset for Galway, opening space for himself and others and accounting for a handful of Galway’s eleven point tally.  The Gaels looked largely to Tony Brosnan for their scoring outlet and the man from Dr. Crokes accounted for four of the Gaels points.  Galway led by a score of 0-11 to 1-5 at the half.

Kevin McCarthy tries to get around Maurice Connaughton.
The second half saw each side drop shots short, however another Gaels goal kept the Connemara men in the game.  This one came from Cillian Fahy who finished from close range following some good work involving Frank Burns and Farragher.  Galway continued clocking up the points, wing backs Oran Keevers and Reddin, as well as Kennedy and Cummins each hit the spot. 

The Gaels attacked in search of goal as time was ticking away.  Kieran McGeary thundered through all the way from corner back and his shot blazed over the bar, and shortly afterwards his Pomeroy clubmate, Frank Burns forced Jamie Kelly to pull off an amazing save, Farragher cleaned up with a point.  The goal was in it in the final minutes as Galway had to defend in numbers to hold off the marauding Gaels.

Brosnan and Farragher inched the Gaels within a point as Galway tried to hang on to the dwindling lead.  Reddin put the final score over the bar just before the whistle to secure the win and Galway live on in the championship.  The Tribe will face the Wolfe Tones on Wednesday night and may have to do so without the services of Sean Marshall who suffered an ankle injury in the second half.

Gaels:  E. Connolly, K. McGeary, D. Black, D. Doolan, C. Fahy, F. Cooney, R. Caffrey, N. Graham, S. Conneely, M. Farragher, F. Burns, K. McCarthy, T. Brosnan.  Galway: J. Kelly, M. Collins, M. Connaughton, D.Reddin, L. Laheen, O. Keevers, S. Marshall, K. Mulvaney, J. Campion, K. Cummins, C. Kennedy, S. Regan, J. Kehoe.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: