Monday, August 13, 2012

Junior A Football: Gaels Force Playoff

Connemara Gaels 2-12 Aidan McAnespies 2-8

Connemara Gaels forced a three way playoff in the junior A football championship with an exciting win over Aidan McAnespies.  It was touch and go for most of the second half, but the Gaels played the more coherent football to rally in the last 10 minutes and pop over four well-taken points to one for McAnespies in the last 10 minutes.

Joe Geoghegan protects the ball.
It was all square at the end of the first half.  Maurice Scannell netted a well taken goal following a well won ball by Shane Lynn which put McAnespies two points to the good with 5 minutes left in the first half.  Tom McDonagh, Kevin Owens, and Ronan Kelly had found the mark for the Gaels.  Owens was dangerous when in possession, and Coleman Conroy and Tom McDonagh did well sweeping up in the Gaels back line.  Eugene Daly, Barry Smith and Steven Magill pointed for McAnespies and it was 0-7 to 1-4 at the break as the goal kept parity for McAnespies.

McAnespies veteran, Alan Comerford.
The lead changed hands a couple of times in a touch and go second half, and the game could have gone either way.  The Gaels got a let off after Neil Donaghy took a 45 and the ball came off the inside of the post, with Steven Murray keeping goal for the Gaels not knowing too much about it.  The Gaels got off to a great start however, and a goal by Joe Geoghan after the let off put them in a great position.  It was taken from the same spot that Scannell netted from in the first for McAnespies.  McAnespies worked their way back into it.  Magill answered with a well worked point, and Alan Comerford, and Aaron McLoughlin pointed one more each.  The Gaels kept a slight lead as AJ Maguire had popped over one in between.  Right after Mcloughlin’s point, McAnespies netted.  After stealing an attempted short kickout, Enda Hamill sidestepped the keeper and shot into the empty net.  The Gaels finshed the game well, however.  Tom McDonagh got the goal that back to put the Gaels back into the lead, and some good passing moves resulted in scores from PJ Kelly, McDonagh, and Conroy.  With the win, there are three teams level for two places, and these two teams will meet again on Wednesday night to see who goes on to meet Wolfe Tones in the semi-final!

Referee:  Tadhg Lucey (Corcaigh)

Man of the Match:  Coleman Conroy (Connemara Gaels)

Gaels:  S. Murray, C. Conroy, M. Coyne, S. O’Connell, M. McDonagh, C. Lafferty, T. McDonagh, R. Kelly, K. Lowe, PJ Kelly, AJ Maguire, J. Geoghan, K. Owens.  Macs:  N. Duffy, J. O’Shea, G. McAlinden, A. McLoughlin, N. Donaghy, E. Daly, B. Smith, M. Scannell, S. Magill, A. Comerford, S. Lynn, E. Hamill, O. McCosker.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: