Monday, August 13, 2012

Senior Hurling: Wexford Force Tipp into Playoff

Wexford 1-10 Tipperary 0-11

Wexford pulled off another win against Tipperary in the final game of the senior hurling championship.  With the win, Wexford draw level on points with Galway at the top of the table and had a chance of going straight into the final, but as it turned out Galway’s name was pulled out of the hat and Wexford will play a semi-final next Sunday against either Tipperary or Fr. Tom Burke’s.  Having played most of the second half with 11 men, Wexford dug deep and fought hard to come out on top by two points in another battling victory.

Tipp's Cronin Dempsey with
Jim O'Neill close behind.
A goal from Paul Coady kept Wexford in touch with Tipp for the first period.  After Michael Moloney had opened the scoring with a point Coady got on the end of a high ball into the box and pulled on it into the net.  Tipp answered with points from John Wall, Michael Ryan, and Andy McRedmond.  Tipp were on top for most of the half, with Cronin Dempsey putting in a good display in midfield.  Kevin O’Loughlin was on the money with the frees.  As the half wound down, Moloney put another great point over the bar and was followed by Paudie Kehoe before Aidan Callinan pointed to make it Tipperary one point to the good at the break.

The Ball Skips Past Paul Coady
and Aidan Callinan.
The second half was marred by a couple of outbreaks of scuffles leading to Wexford losing two players and Tipperary one to sendings off.  It was a bad tempered, scrappy affair in which neither side established themselves over the other.  John Kindregan toiled diligently at corner back for Tipp but almost gave away a goal at one point after failing to gather a ball coming out of defence.  Kevin Sheerin fired the loose ball over the bar and could have had a goal.  There were plenty of misses on both sides, but Paul Coady did enough with the free taking to keep Wexford slightly ahead for most of the half.  Tipp never got into any rhythm and scored in fits and starts.  Michael Ryan added to two O’Loughlin pointed frees and with minutes left it was Wexford by a point.  Sheerin, who ploughed a lonely furrow up front, had a great chance of scoring a second Wexford goal but his first time pull, as with the first chance, was a little high and over the bar.  Tipp at least had certainty with regard to their fate following the game, while Wexford had to wait and see whether they would be semi-finalists or finalists following a draw. 

Referee:  Jason Long (Corcaigh)

Man of the Match:  Michael Maloney (Wexford)

Wexford:  E. Spruhan, M. Walsh, D. Redmond, B. O’Connor, P. Nolan, B. Dalton, T. Moloney, J. O’Neill, J. Kehoe, E. Kavanagh, P. Kehoe, P. Coady, M. Moloney.  Tipp:  P. O’Brien, J. Kindregan, B. O’Carroll, S. Norton, J. Rigney, J. Dougan, C. Dempsey, A. Callinan, J. Wall, A. McRedmond, K. O’Loughlin, B. Hartnett, M. Ryan.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: