Monday, August 27, 2012

Rebels Win Junior B Football Championship

Cork 1-15 Kerry 0-7

Cork junior B footballers brought a trophy back to the club for the first time in 9 years with a comfortable win over Munster rivals, Kerry.  Cork qualified for the playoffs as the fourth team, but played like the first.  The rebels had the edge at the break and Kerry’s cause was not helped after Paddy Tanney was sent to the line for an off the ball offence.  Cork coasted through most of the second half as Kerry legs tired and will be hoping to deliver a North American trophy to the cabinet.

John Farrell Presents the Cup to
Aidan Murphy.
Cork worked their way into a four point lead over the first 20 minutes of the game.  Midfielders Jack Lynch and Pat O’Sullivan had the measure of their opponents and Cork enjoyed a wealth of possession.  A string of five unanswered points went over the bar.  Three Pat Sullivan frees, and efforts from Aidan Murphy and Pat Ryan and Cork were in the drivers seat.  The Rebels squandered a handful of chances to extend their lead, and Kerry made an adjustment by bringing James Healy into the fray and moving John Cremin from center back to the middle of the field.  Kerry ate into the Cork lead as they strung some passes together.  Cremin, Padraig Morissey, and Paddy Tanney reduced the deficit to a point, but Cork lifted their efforts.  Lynch found Johnny Crowley for a point, and two from Lar Barden had Cork sitting on a four point half time lead, 0-8 to 0-4.

The Victorious Cork Team
With 10 minutes passed in the second half Kerry lost a man to a red card.  Paddy Tanney was sent to the line for an off the ball incident.  Robbie O’Hanlon had brought Kerry a point closer, and Cremin added another to Kerry’s tally after the incident.  Cork deployed the extra man in the back line for extra cover.  O’Sullivan pointed from a free, and two quick points followed from Mike Carolan, James Canney, and Declan Kerins.  Cork were first to the kickouts and Kerry found themselves chasing the game.  With a six point lead an a man to the good all Cork had to do was keep possession and avoid any major mistakes.  Cork began to pass the ball with ease and wait for the opening.  Murphy added a point and an O’Sullivan free reduced the chances of a Kerry comeback.  A late goal from Johnny Crowley capped off a fine victory for the rebels and when combined with a good showing by the senior team, capped of a comeback season of sorts for the club.

Referee:  Syl Doyle (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match:  Pat O’Sullivan (Cork)

Cork:  K. Reid, M. McCarthy, T. McKittrick, M. Carolan, D. Kerins, J. Carney, P. O’Sullivan, J. Lynch, J. Crowley, L. Barden, M. Cahilane, P. Ryan, A. Murphy.  Kerry:  D. O’Connor, D. McGillicuddy, R. Coyne, C. Moore, J. Cremin, C. McGillicuddy, E. Cummings, P. Morrissey, P. Doyle, R. O’Hanlon, M. Fallon, P. Tanney, A. O’Leary.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: