Monday, July 11, 2011

July 9 - Senior Football: Galway v Mayo

Galway 1-10 Mayo 0-8

Galway prevailed in this battle of the western counties thanks to a 15 minute second half flourish where the tribesmen capitalized on their wealth of possession and put five unanswered points over the bar. The first half was keenly contested, however in the second period Mayo lost their way while Galway’s corner forward, James Carroll, helped himself to five points as Galway cruised to an all important victory.

Mayo's Fintan Kelly and Andrew Shore for Galway
contest a kickout.
Galway opened the game with the best possible start. Carroll goaled within the first 2 minutes, it was a warning sign of what to expect from him. Mayo kept their composure and proceeded to whittle away at the deficit with points. Fintan Kelly put a lovely curling effort over the bar and was followed by Ray Geraghty shortly afterwards. With neither midfield enjoying a decided advantage possession was evenly shared between the teams. Galway moved the ball well, but the Mayo back line were quick to close down the spaces. Galway however possess two dangerous corner forwards, and Carroll broke free on a couple of occasions and tallied two more points. One could have been a goal, but with the keeper to beat the Donegal man’s shot was low, but not low enough and went over the bar. A goal at that stage would surely have instilled some doubt into Mayo minds as the Galway lead was now two points instead of a possible four. Dara McLaughlin and Aidan Walsh had pointed for Mayo, and before half time a pointed free from Walsh made six scores for Mayo to five for Galway, but the early goal meant Galway led by a point.

Barry McShea chases Kevin Cummins.
The second half got underway with a wide for Mayo. Galway were enjoying most of the possession, but proceeded to kick 4 wides before Carroll put a free over from around 45 meters. Mayo made some substitutions to try and swing the game in their favour. Gervase Toner and Lewis Cawley were introduced to the fray. Galway’s supremacy continued however. Having missed the early efforts, now Galway could not miss. Carroll pointed three more times, one free, and Danny Reddin also added to the Galway lead with a point. Mayo’s play became disjointed and confidence seemed to drop. Eoghan Kavanagh led the effort from the middle of the field for Galway and play was mostly in one direction. Kevin Cummins almost goaled for Galway, but his close range effort was blocked on the line. With 10 minutes to go Galway were sitting on a comfortable six point lead. Mayo tried to raise their efforts but attacks broke down before the ball reached the danger area. Mayo’s first score of the second half came from Aidan Walsh with 28 minutes gone. Another followed from a free to reduce the deficit to four points but Galway’s Carroll capped a fine performance with his ninth score of the day. An important win for Galway, while Mayo’s hopes for the playoffs took a blow with three games left to play.

Galway: P. McComiskey, D. Walsh, G. Dunphy, P. Cummins, E. Doherty, A. McFadden, A. Shore, E. Kavanagh, D. Reddin (0-1), P. Nolan, J. Keogh, K. Cummins (0-1), J. Carroll (1-9). Mayo: A. Townsend, S. Clifford, B. McShea, P. O’Donoghue, K. Comer, D. Dolan, D. Kirby, F. Kelly (0-1), M. Butterfield, A. Walsh (0-5), R. Geraghty (0-1), J. McDonnell, D. McLoughlin (0-1). Sub, L. Cawley (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: