Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunday July 24 - Junior A Football: Wolfe Tones v Aidan McAnespies

Aidan McAnespies 0-10 Wolfe Tones 3-10

Wolfe Tones proved too much for McAnespies in a scrappy junior A football championship encounter on Sunday. There was plenty to talk about, three goals and three sendings off. The Tones led comfortably early in the second half, and at one point McAnespies looked like making a possible comeback, but a third Tones goal from the boot of Mick Sammon put an end to any hopes of getting it close. In spite of playing a man down for much of the second period, the Tones never let McAnespies back into it,

Mick Sammon breaks away from his marker.
The Tones had the upper hand for much for the first period and at the break held a seven point lead. With McAnespies leading by two points to one thanks to two good scores from Niall Hassey, the Tones hit with a goal from the ever dangerous Marty McGeough. The Tones then took the initiative and outplayed their opponents for the next 20 minutes. The Tones defended well and with lots of running from midfielder, John O’Keefe, opened a sizeable lead. After Mick Sammon and O’Keefe pointed, a second goal came from Joey Farrell. O’Keefe had hit the crossbar and Farrell was on hand to put the rebound in the net. More points came from Sammon and O’Keefe as the lead grew. Then we had a sending off for some boxing off the ball. Alo McGeough and Raymond Brady were both shown the line. McAnespies then came back into the game, Steven Magill pointed followed by Joe Callan and Niall Hassey. Callan ended the scoring for the half to leave it at 2-8 to 0-7 in favour of the Tones.

Cliff Malone and Neil Donaghy jump for the ball.
McAnespies improved their performance in the second half and enjoyed more possession than in the first. Magill and Hughes hit the mark for McAnespies, while Shane O’Brien pointed once for the Tones. The difference was two goals, and McAnespies sensed that a comeback could be on the cards. The more McAnespies pressed the more open they were at the back and the Tones took full advantage. Declan Kenihan ran the length of the field and with defenders in pursuit passed to Sammon who slid the ball beneath the keeper. Sammon himself saw red for his reaction following an incident where he protested once to often that he should have been awarded a free. McAnespies managed two points from Sean Mallon frees. The Tones worked hard in defence to keep their opponents at bay, Alan Higgins made some timely interceptions as McAnespies pushed for a much needed goal. The Tones capped of a very good performance with points from John O’Keefe and Alan Higgins to take the first of the two encounters of the day between the clubs.

Macs: N. Duffy, J. Harkin, C. Treanor, A. McDonal, S. Magill (0-2), N. Hassey (0-3), E. Hughes (0-1), S. Lynn, R. Brady, N. Donaghy, S. Mallon (0-2), J. Callan (0-2), E. McCusker. Tones: K. McPartland, A. Higgins (0-1), C. O’Callaghan, A. Rooney, P. Collins, C. Malone, D. Kenihan (0-1), J. O’Keefe (1-2), A. McGeough (1-0), G. Molloy, M. McGeough, J. Farrell (1-0), M. Sammon (1-4). Sub: S. O’Brien (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: