Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunday July 24 - Senior Football: Wolfe Tones v Aidan McAnespies

Aidan McAnespies 3-14 Wolfe Tones 0-14

Wolfe Tones provided Aidan McAnespies with a stern challenge in the second encounter of the day between the teams. The game was closer than the nine points that separated the teams might indicate. The Tones hit the post, missed a penalty, and forced a couple of very good saves from McAnespies keeper, Ciaran Kendrick. McAnespies played some lovely running football at times and threatened to run away with the game in the early going, but the Tones stuck to the task and made a game of it. The Blue team from Southie will consider themselves a little unlucky not to have got something from the game.

Aidan McAnespies maintained their 100% record this season.
Aidan McAnespies got their running game going early in the first half. Mid-way through the game McAnespies netted a well worked goal in a move involving Mark Little and Plunkett Kane. McAnespies held the edge for most of the half and at times opened the Tones defence wide open with their incisive passing and running in supprt. Paul O”Donoghue followed the goal with another well worked score, this time a point. Plunkett Kane and O’Donoghue pointed to put McAnespies ahead by a goal and five to two points with about 15 minutes gone. With the Tones unable to effectively move the ball one began to wonder if we had a whitewash on our hands. The Tones worked their way back into the game however. Marty Farrell’s free taking was on the mark and kept the Tones in touch, while Sean Dalton and Darren Maguire also added to the Tones tally. With the Tones back in the game having pulled within four points, McAnespies hit with a second goal. Another great passing move involving Kane, Colm McCrory and finished by Sean Cournane. Each keeper was called on to earn his salt. Cathal Hynes saved well from Colm McCrory early in the first half, while close to half time it was Ciaran Kendrick who did well to stop Gary Brilly’s shot. The Tones finished the first period well, scoring three times on the trot. McAnespies led by five points at the half.

Wolfe Tones worked hard but could not overcome McAnespies.
The Tones pushed hard to break down McAnespies in the second half and noticeably upped their workrate. Charles McCarthy was lost to a shoulder injury and gary Brilly came into the middle of the field and made a significant contribution in his new berth. After Paul O’Donoghue restored the McAnespies lead to six points, James Doyle got his first score of the game. It was up and down the field stuff as the Tones tried to dent that lead, but McAnespies were able to keep their edge. O’Donoghue and McCrory pointed for Macs, then Farrell and Cournane swapped scores. The Tones almost had a goal but Doyle’s shot from 14 yards hit the post. The Tones managed to string three points together and get the lead down to four points but Macs did not buckle. After the lead was restored to six points, the Tones had another golden chance to cut down the deficit after a penalty was awarded when Darren Maguire was bundled down in the box. Doyle was the taker, and his shot went just wide of the post. Kendrick saved well again to deny the Tones their goal. The game was put away for good after Cournane completed his hat trick and netted a third for his team in the final minute of the game. McAnespies are a lock for the semi-final and top seed and will face the Blues in their final game of the season. The Tones meet Kerry and will need to win to ensure third place.

Macs: C. Kendrick, R. McCloskey, N. Gallen, H. Gill, N. Kerr (0-1), S. Hughes, G. O’Neill, P. Kane (0-3), C. McCrory (0-2), P. Toner, M. Little, P. O’Donoghue (0-5), S. Cournane (3-1). Tones: C. Hynes, K. Regan, E. Naughton, D. Maguire (0-1), B. Kinahan, G. Brilly, C. McCarthy, L. Kavanagh, S. Dalton (0-3), J. Doyle (0-1), B. Blanchfield, D. McCabe (0-1), M. Farrell (0-6).  Sub:  CJ Power (0-2).
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: