Monday, July 22, 2013

July 21 - Senior Football: Galway v Wolfe Tones

Galway 0-12 Wolfe Tones 1-9

It was a tremendously exciting game that went down to the wire between Galway, who may have had an outside chance of making the playoffs should they win, and Wolfe Tones.  Conor McGreanor was the main man for Galway up front and it looked like he had won the game for Galway, but a late free taken by Donie Smith for the Tones leveled the game with time almost up.

Thomas Moolick gives chase to Eoghan Kavanagh
The Tones got off to a four points to no score start and with circumstances decidedly in their favour, one wondered if we would see a one sided game.  Galway got themselves into the game with 2 excellent points from Conor McGreanor who lined out at corner forward.  The game settled into an even contest with Tom Walsh proving to be a big presence in the middle of the field for Galway, and Danny Reddin and Anton McFadden playing very well in the half back line.  David Drake, Barry Coffey, and Kevin Cummins accounted for scores for Galway, while Danny Egan, Smith, and Sean Kelly hit the mark for the Tones.  At the break Galway had pulled themselves within a point.

Galway's Danny Reddin on the ball.
The pace of the game slowed down a little in the second half.  Galway turned the deficit into a lead with 3 points on the trot from Kildare man, Coffey.  Two were from frees and the third came from a chance at goal that was saved twice.  McGreanor made a great run at goal and tried to slip his shot low past Cathal Hynes, but Hynes got down well to parry the shot.  The big corner forward almost put the rebound away, but Sean Higgins was there to clear the ball.  Coffey tidied up with the point and the Tones had a let off.  The Tones were looking at an unanticipated defeat at this stage as Galway were in the ascendancy.  Smith at corner forward changed all that with a point that was followed by a goal.  Thomas Moolick played a cross field ball that Smith got on the end of and danced past several defenders before finishing with his left foot from inside 14 yards.  The Tones now ahead by 2 points with 10 minutes to go.  Galway had several chances to level the scores, and eventually they did with a booming 50 from McGreanor, and a free from Coffey following a foul on the big man in the corner.  At first it looked like it would be Galway's day after McGreanor pointed with time almost up, but a late late free was converted by Smith for the Tones to earn a point.  End of the road for Galway, while the Tones are well on track for the quarter finals.

Galway:  M. O'Connor, J. Flynn-O'Connor, N. Freeman, A. McFadden, M. McGinley, D. Reddin, E. Kavanagh, T. Walsh, K. Cummins (0-1), B. Coffey (0-6), M. Kenny, C. McGreanor (0-4), D. Drake (0-1).  Tones:  C. Hynes, K. Cleere, S. Higgins, J. Hickson, J. Comerford, J. Gonoud, T. Moolick (0-1), C. McCarthy, M. Farrell, D. Egan (0-2), M. Kelly, S. Kelly (0-2), D. Smith (1-4).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: