Monday, July 1, 2013

June 30 - Senior Football: Galway v Christopher's

Christopher's 4-12 Galway 2-9

This was an important game for Galway in order to maintain hopes of winning a place in the playoffs in August.  After a good first half where the Westerners really should have had a better return for their efforts, Christopher's raised their game a gear and came away with a comfortable win in the end. 

Christopher's Padraig Lucey and Galway's
Jason Campbell rise for the ball.
It could not have been much closer between the teams after 30 minutes of football, though Christopher's will have considered themselves to be fortunate to take the break one goal to the good.  Galway worked hard in defence with corner back Niall Freeman doing a tight job on Chris Brady.  Wing forward Mark Kenny covered a lot of ground across the 40, while Conor McGreanor proved a handful at corner forward.  Galway netted early in the half with a well worked goal from David Drake after McGreanor beat his man and found Drake at the far post.  Christopher's however made the most of their scoring chances and did more than keep pace.  A penalty after Chris Brady was pulled down canceled out the Galway goal.  Brady took it himself and slid the ball low to the far corner.  After Barry Coffey pointed twice for Galway, Brady and Mike Quinlivan added one each for Christopher's.  Then came the blow to Galway's gut just before the break.  After missing a good goal chance, Jarvey Toner finished a well worked move with a goal from inside the 14 yard line to put Christopher's one goal to the good, 2-4 to 1-4.

Lucey tries to drive past Tony Murphy.
The second period saw a much improved performance from Christopher's.  Their cause was helped by an early penalty that was awarded after Brady was seen being held in the penalty area by his marker.  For the second time in the game Brady slotted the kick home.  In fact, the first 4 points in the Christopher's column were scored by the Killarney man, three from frees .  Galway removed Kenny from the fray and in came Bob Keane who made an immediate impact.  Keane pointed twice and then it was Galway's turn to find the net with another goal from Drake after Ferghal Durkan made a run from his wing back berth.  Five points in it now, but Christopher's picked up their game and answered with three points on the trot from Paul Nolan, Jason Lonergon, and Brady.  With hope for the Tribesmen fading fast, it was extinguished after Tony Murphy was shown red card for his part in contesting a throw up.  Christopher's saw it through to the final whistle with Galway players and mentors having to be restrained as they expressed displeasure with some of the decisions by referee James Trimble.

Christopher's:  P. Kenneally, C. Davies, E. O'Neill, D. Culhane, M. Mennis, G. O'Leary, P. Lucey (0-1), D. Kenneally, S. Power, J. Toner (1-0), J. Lonergan (0-1), M. Quinlivan (0-1), C. Brady (2-8).  Sub:  J. Kenneally (1-0), P. Nolan (0-1).  Galway:  M. O'Connor, F. Durkan (0-1), J. Kehoe (0-1), D. Reddin, T. Murphy, J. Campbell, B. Coffey (0-4), K. Cummins (0-1), M. Kenny, D. Drake (2-0), C. McGreanor.  Sub: B. Keane (0-2).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: