Sunday, July 28, 2013

Saturday July 27 - Junior A hurling: Fr. Tom Burke's v Wexford

Wexford 1-15 Fr. Tom Burke's 2-10

Wexford joined Tipperary at the top of the junior hurling table with a win over defending Boston and NACB champions, Fr. Tom Burke's on Saturday afternoon.  The game was anybody's entering the last 10 minutes, and it was Wexford who did enough to cross the line ahead of Tom's by a nose.  Inistoige was to the fore as native son Ritchie Ryan accounted for the bulk of Wexford's scores.  Though Ryan was the free taker, there were 3 or 4 lovely points from a play from the corner forward, and a goal early in the second half.

Wexford Junior Hurlers came through at the end to beat Fr. Tom Burke's.
The game started with Wexford going into a four points to no score lead.  Tom;s hardly had an attempt at goal in the first 10 minutes, and though there were a few balls dropped into the square, a Wexford player was there to make the clearance.  In addition when the chances did come, Tom's squandered them, two missed frees and a chance or two where a goal attempt was cleared instead of taking the point meant that the Wexford lead remained intact.  Ryan accounted for 6 of Wexford's first half tally, while additional points from Eoghan Flaherty and Dominic Magill meant that there was a four point difference at the break.

Tom's Juniors still looking for the first win of the season.
The game looked like it would get away from Tom's in the second half after Ryan netted.  His marker, Paul Heneghan, did a fine job at corner back but Ryan just needed an inch of room to make his openings and was often found isolated with plenty of room to maneuver.  Tom's had a great chance at goal just beforehand when Fran Keenan was found with room on the 21, but Craig Neville made a superb save to deflect the ball over the bar for a point.  Keenan finally got his opening, not once but twice mid way through the half.  The second goal squirmed under the stick of Neville, and with that Tom's were just a point behind.  Keenan leveled the scores with a point and with less than 10 minutes to go it was all square.  Wexford, who had that little bit more quickness around the middle of the field, got the edge on their opponents with the next three points, 2 Ryan frees and a point from play.  Tom's tried to peg them back, but with time running out needed a third goal and never got a clear chance.  Tom's still looking for a win, and Wexford with 2 wins from 2 games.

Wexford:  C. Neville, P. Nolan, P. Copper, D. Brennan, D. Magill (0-1), T. Edward, J. Foley, S. Connelly (0-1), C. Kerins, E. Flaherty (0-1), J. Cullen, T. Dunne (0-1), R. Ryan (1-12).  Tom's:  E. Cummins, T. Doran, P. Heneghan, K. Mooney, C. Horan (0-2), J. Dooley, S. Wogan G. Kelly, C. Lee, C. Donoghue, P. McCoy (0-1), M. Markhan, F. Keenan (2-7).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: