Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sunday July 14 - Senior Hurling - Fr. Tom Burke's v Wexford

Wexford 3-13 Fr. Tom Burke's 1-13

Wexford came out on top of a very entertaining senior hurling match.  Both teams needed to win to set up in third place going into the second round of games next week.  Tom's started well, but 2 late first half goals and a strong finish to the game from Wexford saw them take a 6 point win.

Tom's hurled well but Wexford got the vital scores.
Wexford were the side holding the lead at the end of the first 30 minutes.  Tom's may have felt a little aggrieved as having played the better hurling, they conceded 2 goals late in the half.  Tom's were leading by a score of 0-8 to 0-4 with the back line clearing most of what Wexford sent their way and points coming from David O'Mahoney, Joe Carroll, Mark Deegan, and Shane Howley.  Wexford hit a one two blow that undid all of Tom's hard work.  The first goal came from a 21 yard free that Tony Murphy buried, the second from John Flynn-O'Connor after Eoghan Kavanagh's run opened things up.  Going into the break Wexford held the lead, 2-5 to 0-9.

Wexford's Tom Moloney and Tom's Shane Howley
Tom's came out in the second half with full intention of setting the record straight from their viewpoint.  O'Mahoney accounted for 5 points, 4 from frees.  One score was a goal from a 21 yard free after Joe Carroll was brought down from behind.  Tom's ahead by a goal and now Wexford lifted their game.  Tony Murphy was found twice with a short ball over the top.  The first time his shot was fluffed and Eoin Fleming saved easily.  The second time, a minute later, a similar chance came his way and Murphy buried the shot in the far corner.  Simon Aylward was sent to the line following a second yellow card, but Wexford followed with 3 points, two from Brian Cline and a third from Kavanagh, to one for Tom's and held a goal lead coming into the final quarter of the game.  After O'Mahoney pulled Tom's within 2 points Wexford turned the screws to finish the game strong in spite of playing a man down.  Cline pointed twice from frees and Kavanagh put a lovely score on the run over the bar to put Wexford ahead by four.  As the clock ran down Wexford finished well, and underlined the victory with a great point from Tom Moloney.

Tom's:  E. Fleming, G. Joyce, R. Burke, T. Bowe, S. Coughlan, B. Harding, M. Deegan (0-4), D. Lafferty, S. Howley (0-1), J. Carroll (0-2), M. Dervan, D. O'Mahoney (1-5), A. McEnerney.  Wexford:  E. Spruhan, D. Redmond, M. McCaffery, M. Wornock, P. Nolan, T. Maloney (0-1), J. Kehoe, S. Aylward, B. Cline (0-4), D. Drake (0-2), E. Kavanagh (0-3), T. Murphy (2-1), J. Flynn-O'Connor (1-0).

By Rory O'Donnell 

No comments: