Monday, July 8, 2013

July 7 - Senior Football: Wolfe Tones v Connemara Gaels

Connemara Gaels 0-8 Wolfe Tones 0-10

In a game that was delayed by thunderstorms, saw four sendings off, and a dramatic finish, the Wolfe Tones added another important win their quest for the championship.  Great performances from Leixlip man Thomas Moolick and Tyrrellspass native Jamie Gonoud with the game on the line saw the Tones through a close game against the once high flying Connemara Gaels.

Cormac Joyce-Power Lines up a shot.
It was another game marked by a first half scuffle, with 3 sendings of by referee Colm Schwer who did not settle for any messing.  The Gaels Michael Lundy, along Gary Brilly and Mike O'Brien from the Tones saw red with about 15 minutes gone in the game and the Gaels ahead by 3 points to one.  Damien Comer opened the account for the Gaels with Ian Burke adding 2 further points.  Then came the red cards and the Gaels held a man advantage and the lead in the game.  The Tones battled back to stay in the it.  Moolick had a golden chance to net for the Tones just before half time, but the big midfielder put the ball over the bar from close range.  The Tones had pulled back two points and at the break it was the Gaels with their noses ahead, 0-4 to 0-3.

Kian Cleere tries to stop Sean Conneeley.
Things evened up in the second half after Trevor Mullins was shown a second yellow card and with 20 minutes to go it was evened up.  The Tones had managed to pull even in spite of being down, and now saw the opportunity to take both points from the game.  The Southie side put five points over the bar to go into a three point lead.  The Tones half back line did well, John Comerford, Jamie Gonoud, and Sean Higgins battled hard.  With the momentum in their favour, the Tones points went over from Danny Egan and Cormac Joyce-Power.  The Gaels had life left in their game however.  Sean Conneely and Noel Graham, who came on as a sub, battled to turn the tide.  Points from Caoimhin Seoighe, and Burke (2) leveled the scores with 5 minutes to go and it was up for grabs now.  The Tones were the side the pushed it over the line at the end.  Gonoud and Moolick got the critical scores and the Tones kept possession to see out the clock.  Two valuable points for the Tones while the Gaels will be looking to get their season back on track against Christopher's in 2 weeks time.

Gaels:  E. Connolly, S. Cullen, L. Cullen, E. O'Gorman, C. O'Donnell, S. Conneeley, T. Mullins, R. Hyde, M. Lundy, D. Comer, C. Mulryan, I. Burke, K. McGrath.  Tones:  C. Hynes, K. Cleere, S. O'Hagen, S. Higgins, J. Hickson, J. Gonoud, T. Moolick, J. Comerford, M. O'Brien, G. Brilly, M. Kelly, C. McCarthy, D. Egan.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: