Monday, July 8, 2013

July 7 - Senior Hurling: Tipperary v Galway

Galway 1-14 Tipperary 2-16

Tipperary and Galway battled it out for top spot in a game that swung to and fro.  Tipp weathered a first half Galway storm to find their way back into the game and pull away as the second half neared its end.  Eanna Murray's second half goal tipped the scales towards Tipp and the Premier men held on for the win as thunder storms approached. 

Kieran Morris on the attack for Tipp.
The first half was a well contested affair marked by some well taken points, two goals, and a schmozzle.  Galway looked to be pulling away with a string of points from John Moylan, Dan McCormack, and Sean Curran in the early going.  Ten minutes into the game there were awful scenes as a melee broke out.  Referee Paddy Ivors gave the players time to cool down and issued 3 yellow cards, the players concerned would be forgiven for considering themselves very fortunate to be allowed remain on the field.  Stephen Brown and Philip Ivors for Galway and Morris Power for Tipp were cautioned.  Ivors then netted for Galway and the tribesmen looked like they were in full control, Tipp were very much playing second fiddle.  Tipp inched back into it however.  Lifted by the efforts of Kieran Morris, the man from Maycarley also put a handful of frees over the bar, the gap on the scoreboard narrowed to the point where the teams were level near the end of the half.  The goal was recovered thanks to an attempted short puckout gone wrong.  The ball ended in the hands of Denis Maher inside the 14 yard line and the wing forward placed the ball past Martin O'Connor.  By the time the short whistle sounded it was Tipp with a one point edge, 1-8 to 1-7.

Contesting a puckout.
Tipp took the initiative early in the half with an unlikely goal from Eanna Murray.  Galway had drawn level after Curran and Moylan pointed and Morris had put one over for Tipp.  After the goal Galway were playing from behind and chasing the game.  Peadar Boran extended the Tipp lead by another point, and Galway tried to rally the troops.  Moylan almost netted, but James Logue pulled off a fine save from the low shot.  Each time Galway got within 2 points, Tipp seemed to be able to put a point or two over the bar to keep the distance between the sides.  With the game still in the balance Tipp put three unanswered points over the bar from substitute David Butler who entered the game mid way through the half.  Tipperary on full points after 3 games with Galway a close second, and  Wexford and Fr. Tom's to decide who will claim the third spot at the half way mark next Sunday.

Galway:  P. Connors, P. Ryan, C. Lordan, E. Casey, P. Gahan, C. McGovern, R. Bergin (0-2), D. Collins, S. Brown, D. McCormack (0-2), P. Ivors (1-0), S. Curran (0-3), J. Moylan (0-6).  Sub:  P. Lupton (0-1).  Tipp:  J. Logue, M. Power, S. Stanton, A. McGrath, R. O'Donnell, G Brennan, S. O'Connor, C. Dempsey (0-1), P. Boran (0-1), D. Maher (1-2), E. Murray (1-2), C. Flynn, C. Morris (0-7).  Sub:  D. Butler (0-3).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: