Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 28 - Senior Football: Kerry v Wolfe Tones

Wolfe Tones 0-14 Kerry 1-14

Kerry pulled of a win in their final regular season game though Kingdom hearts were their mouths for the final seconds as a Tones goalbound shot beat goalkeeper, Paudi Bailey, but was saved on the line by midfielder, Stephen Cunningham.  Kerry had built an early 8 point lead and after 20 minutes looked to be well on their way, but saw the big lead shrink to one point late in the game.  A late goal from Ronan Kennedy proved to be the winner, and sitting on 7 points, Kerry are at least in with a chance of a playoff game for the quarter finals. 

Joe Fitzpatrick launches another first half attack.
Kerry came out guns ablaze in the first half.  The boys from the kingdom popped four points over the bar before the Tones got off the mark with a Danny Egan point.  Five more followed as Kerry dominated proceedings, and it looked like there was a greater sense of urgency in the green and gold shirts.  Colin Campion, Darragh O'Brien, and Shane O'Callaghan hit the mark and Kerry's lead grew to 8 points.  The Tones eventually woke up and the Kerrymen could not maintain the fast pace for much longer.  Points from Marty Farrell, Egan, and Enda O'Brien pulled the Tones within four points.  At the break it was 0-11 to 0-7 in Kerry's favour.

The second half saw the Tones enjoy most of the play and chipped away at Kerry's lead.  All of the spark and endeavor Kerry had in the first 15 minutes had evaporated.  The Tones midfield took over, while Kerry did themselves no favours on a couple of occasions.  In one instance the Kingdom were very lucky not to concede a goal.  A turnover coming out of defence resulted in the Cormac Joyce-Power bearing down in goal, but the Limerick man's shot was inches over the crossbar.  Kerry's lead shrunk to a single point with less then 10 minutes to go.  Thomas Moolick, John Comerford, and Joyce-Power accounted for scores as the Tones looked to spoil Kerry's Sunday.  There were several misses from the Tones as Kerry rode their luck, and quite frankly looked out of gas.  

Sean Driscoll lines up a shot.
A fracas broke out and resulted in 2 red cards to key players from each side.  Moolick for the Tones and O'Brien for Kerry were shown the line for their involvement and it was now a dozen against a dozen.  Kerry managed to rise enough to avoid what would have been a devastating defeat.  The big score came from substitute Ronan Kennedy who got in behind the defence and netted to put his side 4 points to the good with full time a minute away.  There were anxious moments for Kerry in the injury time minutes as almost every kickout was won by a blue shirt.  Enda Smith had moved to the middle of the field and was under every kickout.  Jason Hickson and Sean Kelly pointed, meaning a goal would tie it for the Tones - and there very nearly was one.  With the injury time minutes ticking by and Kerry agony being extended, it was almost curtains for Kingdom before Cunningham came to the rescue.  Each side on 7 points, but likely without key players coming into their first elimination games in a couple of weeks.

Tones:  C. Hynes, P. Jennings, K. Cleere, J. Hickson (0-1), B. McShea, J. Gonoud, T. Moolick (0-1), J. Comerford (0-1), S. Kelly (0-2), D. Egan (0-2), M. Farrell (0-4), C. Carr, E. Smith (0-1).  Sub:  C. Joyce-Power (0-2).  Kerry:  P. Bailey, D. Larkin, S. Driscoll, M. Godley, B. Kelliher (0-1), E. Mullan, I. Whelan, S. Cunningham, C. Campion (0-3), C. Moriarty, J. Fitzpatrick, D. O'Brien (0-7), S. O'Callaghan (0-2).  Subs:  D. Clabby (0-1), R. Kennedy (1-0).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: