Monday, July 22, 2013

July 21 - Senior Hurling: Galway v Fr. Tom Burke's

Galway 1-12 Fr. Tom Burke's 1-13

Fr. Tom Burke's won their first game of the 2013 championship with an exciting win over Galway.  The game went right down to the wire and was won with practically the last puck of the game.  Tom's determination was evident, not least in the play of corner backs Gordon Joyce and Ronan Burke who were alert to the danger and made many important interceptions.  It was a point in injury time from David O'Mahoney that won the game in the end, but Offaly native Stephen Quirke who lined out at corner forward also played a big part in the victory.

Galway's Bobby Bergin tries to find room.
Tom's had a slight edge at the end of the first period.  Quirke accounted for 4 points from frees and Barry Harding a powerful fifth point from play.  Tom's hurled with determination and in a game that they really had to win, looked focused on the task at hand.  Galway for their part maintained pace with their opponents.  John Moylan was on form at corner forward and scored a couple of neat points.  Neither side really came to grips with the game, though for Tom's, Quirke at corner forward added an outlet for them in the forward line.

David O'Mahoney fired the winning score for Tom's.
Tom's fought hard in the back line to deny Galway room to swing, and for the most part were successful.  Galway did miss some chances from within range of the goal early in the half.  However, a goal came for the tribesmen after a cross field ball from Bobby Bergin was batted the ball into the net from the edge of the small square by Moylan to put Galway into the lead.  A point followed and the story for Tom's looked like it would play out as it has for the first 3 times this season.  Mark Deegan rallied with a point however, before Quirk restored the lead as Tom's were not about to die.  The Offaly man from the St. Rynagh's club drilled the ball home from 21 yards and Tom's led by two again.  Deegan followed with a fine score as Tom's kept up the effort to secure a vital win.  Galway had matters level with 3 minutes to go however.  David Collins, Bobby Bergin, and Moylan pointed before substitute Pat Lupton leveled things.  Tom's had the final say as a heretofore quiet David O'Mahoney took his chance in the final minute to pop the ball over the bar and seal the win for Tom's.  Tom's on two points, and much needed after Wexford delivered the first defeat of the season to Tipperary the day before.

Galway:  P. Connors, P. Ryan, C. Lordan, E. Casey, P. Gahan, C. McGovern, B. Bergin (0-1), D. O'Connor, D. McCormack (0-1), D. Collins (0-1), P. Ivors, S. Curran (0-1), J. Moylan (1-7).  Sub: P. Lupton (0-1).  Tom's:  E. Fleming, G. Joyce, R. Burke, D. Lafferty, S. Coughlin, B. Harding (0-1), S. Higgins, M. Deegan (0-2), S. Howley (0-2), J. Carroll, D. O'Mahoney (0-1), A. McEnerney, S. Quirke (1-6).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: