Monday, August 4, 2008

Kerry v Shannon Blues - Aug 3

Shannon Blues 1-15 Kerry 1-4

The Shannon Blues proved to be stronger than Kerry, who, unlike the Kerrymen at home, could not bring their game to the next level. The Blues raised the tempo a notch or two in the second half and ran away with it in the end. With one game left against Galway, the Blues have it in their control to make it to the semi-finals. Just two points separated the sides at the break, and Kerry had every chance, but the Blues limited the Kingdom to a single point in the second half, and put up a goal and seven points themselves.

Johnny Moroney shoots for Goal as Kerry try to get back into the game.
Kerry got off to great start. Colin McDonnell was first to score for Kerry, the Naomh Barrog (Dublin – Coolock to be precise) man pointed and followed up shortly afterwards with a goal. The Blues had pointed twice through Philip Lydon at corner forward. The Blues gradually took over the game and went on to register six points, while Kerry managed just two in the same time period. Shannon Blues stalwart, Gary Henry, pointed twice and Lydon twice to pull the Blues in front. Gary Gaughan proved to be a handful for the Kerry men, the Sligo county player was full of running on the wing and created numerous scoring opportunities for the Blues. Darren Wallace pointed for the Blues and Mark Evans for Kerry before the half to make it Kerry 1-3 and the Shannon Blues 0-8.

Gary Gaughan goes down on the ball, the Sligo man was in top form for the Blues.
The game was gone from Kerry by the time they registered a second half score. The Blues had established a ten- point lead, and were very much in control of proceedings. Kerry missed an easy free early in the half, which did not help their cause, and did have a couple of missed chances at goal, converting one of those would certainly have helped their cause. The Blues defence gave no room to the Kerry forwards and it proved to be a frustrating half hour for the Kingdom. Stephen Henry, Sean Ruane, and Philip Lydon each pointed before Gaughan goaled with 10 minutes to go, a just reward for the hard working wing forward. After Neil Ewing pointed for the Blues, Kerry registered their first point of the second half with less than 10 minutes to go. Dave Cunningham and Lydon finished it off for the Blues to complete what surely was a satisfying win and gives them all to play for when they meet Galway next week.
Blues: D. Hawes, K. Cryan, S. Kelly, S. Ruane, C. O’Grady, Neil Ewing (0-1), Stephen Henry (0-1), R. Hennessy, Gary Henry (0-2), Thomas Cryan (0-1), Gary Gaughan (1-1), Philip Lydon (0-6), Darren Wallace (0-2). Sub: Dave Cunningham (0-1). Kerry: D. Diggins, D. Forde, G. Barry, M. Godley, J. Moroney, S. Moriarty, R. O’Sullivan, D. Waters, P. Devane, Colin McDonnell (1-1), C. Hurley, Mark Evans (0-1), Mark O’Sullivan (0-1). Sub (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: