Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 17 - Senior Hurling: Fr. Tom Burke's v Galway

Fr. Tom Burke’s 0-8 Galway 1-11

Galway pulled away in the second half of a low scoring affair to secure an important win in this clash of rivals. With 17 scores in the first half one may have expected to see the same in the second, but it turned out to be a mirror image with the scoreboard moving just six times, and it was only in the Galway column that moved. Tom’s cause was not helped by nagging injuries to center back Darryl Dooley and center forward Fran Keenan. The sides kept pace in the first half, but Galway pulled away in a controlled second half performance, and kept Tom’s scoreless for over 30 minutes.

Tom's John O'Loughlin contests with Galway's Willie Hyland. 

The first half was evenly contested. While it would not be described as flowing hurling, the sides kept pace with each other. Willie Hyland, Greg Lally, and Willie O’Dwyer all found the mark for Galway, Lally putting a nice point over and O’Dwyer punishing some tentativeness in the Tom’s back line when clearing the ball. For Tom’s Fran Keenan, Ciaran Moore, and Trevor Kelly kept the scoreboard ticking. Things began to get a little rambunctious just before half time, and Ciaran Moore and Jamie McCormack were each yellow carded for an off the ball episode. At the break Galway led by a single point, 0-9 to 0-8.

Ciaran Moore fields cleanly for Tom's despite the attention of Eoin Whooley.

The game had a little more bite to it in the second half, however, Tom’s Fran Keenan had left the fray due to his injury and Tom’s lacked a scoring punch for the period. Galway’s Hyland extended the lead five minutes into the second period, and a long scoreless period ensued. Dooley soldiered at center back for Tom’s, and the Galway backs swallowed up everything sent in their direction. Trailing by a couple of points, Tom’s needed something to change their fortunes up front. Eanna Murphy and Conor Neylon were introduced to the fray in the hope of registering a score. Galway on the other hand had also introduced some fresh legs, and James Dowling who came on in midfield did very well as did Enda Concannon. And while they were not exactly lighting up the scoreboard themselves, Galway’s back line looked like they had the measure of the Tom’s forward line. Willie Hyland put a well worked point over the bar, and then spurned a chance of a goal. With Galway a goal ahead, Keenan was reintroduced by Tom’s, but it was Galway who got the goal to double their lead. Tom’s keeper Joe Keane got under a high ball, but under pressure was unable to catch it and Aiden Callinan was first to the break to poke the ball home.

Tom’s desperately needed a goal now, and did pull a save out of Eric Ward. Trevor Kelly was played through but Ward was up to his angled shot. Ciaran Moore was given his marching orders for a dangerous pull on Dowling with minutes left to go and that signaled the end of Tom’s hopes. As the clock ran down Galway looked at ease as Tom’s were resigned to their fate.

Tom’s: J. Keane, D. Moore, C. Hands, J. O’Loughlin, D. Dooley, S. O’Brien, L. Mulhearn, S. Howley, T. Kelly, F. Keenan, C. Moore, D. Delaney, G. Reddin. Subs: C. Neylon, D. Neylon. Galway: E. Ward, C. O’Driscoll, J. O’Callaghan, E. Whooley, B. Regan, P. Nolan, G. Lally, A. Callinan, S. Dineen, S. Maher, W. Hyland, S. Murphy, W. O’Dwyer.  Subs: J. Dowling, E. Concannon.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: